Tuesday, November 4, 2008

The BIG question!!

I have been debating on posting this, but thought "what the heck"!! Yesterday when I picked Emma up from school she had some news for me.. The boy that she has had a 6th grade crush on asked her to be his "girlfriend".. Now let me back up a little bit.. Last year Emma had a boyfriend or two and I wasn't too thrilled about it.. Especially since one of them decided to tell her that he only liked her to get closer to one of her friends (does this really start so soon??) So after a few heartbreaks last year Bob and I decided to have a little chat with her regarding boys..

We stressed how important it was to be a friend first and that if she could accomplish that now, it would help her in future relationships. We also stressed that at this age "boyfriends" were not necessary and that she would learn that in enough time..

Back to yesterday... So when she shared this news with me, I asked her what her response was.. "I told him that I had to ask my mom first"........ WHAT? Is this my daughter? I was beaming with pride!! Then I went on to have a discussion with her about what the word "boyfriend" means.. Her answer was that it meant being really good friends, talking on the phone and maybe going out on a date....WHOOOOO!! Back up the boyfriend train.. A date?? At 11?? I don't think so.. Then she said, with a parent of course.. You know mom, like dinner or a movie BUT with our parents.. Oh, ok I guess that may be a little more feasible..

After discussing this with Bob we agreed that since she was responsible enough to tell this little boy that she had to ask us first, that we would let her try it out again.. I know I may be in for some trouble with this, but we did put stipulations on her "relationship"..

Keep your fingers crossed that I don't regret this :o)

6 comments:

Christine (Rainy Day Reads) said...

aawww... she is SO grown up! :)

Christine (Rainy Day Reads) said...

Yeah like 12 pence!! :) The odds were very much in his favor.. which was a good thing!

Hayley said...

Oh my word 11! You see this is what freaks me out about having kids...just kidding...kinda!

I must admit you handled it really well, and how awesome is your daughter?

BigMomma said...

UGH! I am so not ready for all this junk! Way to go Emma though! I love that they still talk to us.

Watson World said...

Shaunna: I agree, it is great that they still talk to us.. Let's hope we can keep 'em talking..

Hayley: Kids are a ton of fun, but the worry that comes with them is overwhelming.. You will know when you are ready :o)

Christine: Keep on winning.. :o)

Anonymous said...

If you want Emma to continue to talk to you about her life, ALWAYS take time to listen, really listen, resist the urge to talk/lecture and JUST listen.

Emma is a beautiful young girl. Eleven still seems way-too-young for boyfriends and dates, to me. I made the girls wait until they were 16 and even that was young.

I hope everything works out well. You have such a nice family.